In Episode 33, Amy talks about making Laura Bush’s Cowboy Cookies with her daughter. We were lucky enough to get to try these yummy cookies. You can taste why Laura Bush’s cookies finally dethroned Hilary Clinton’s chocolate chip cookies as the best First Lady bake-off recipe. Oats, coconut, pecans – this cookie has it all. Here is the recipe, found online at SouthernLiving.com. Enjoy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light-brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degree F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl.
- In 8-quart bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugars to combine, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips, oats, coconut and pecans.
- For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven 17 to 20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned; rotate sheets halfway through. Remove cookies to rack to cool.
Photo Credit: Elise Bauer